Friday 6 June 2014

Stonebridge to Paddington Basin'

5th June 2014

Everyone up early today as we have a long day ahead of us.  Despite the sunny morning both Susan and Pete comment on how chilly it feels today.

Off we set at 8:30 am to get water  and remove the rubbish at the first lock which is Stonebridge.  Both this lock and the next one, at Tottenham Hale, are a breeze as fully automatic.  Susan says that in her mind the lock at Tottenham Hale was HUGE..... however now it appears to be a doddle... odd how human minds can play tricks as us boats don't have those sorts of issues.  There are very large boats before the lock that look like they also serve as offices.

Offices at Tottenham Hale


I am surprised, though, at the sheer number of waterfowl living here amongst the rubbish.  As we exit Tottenham Hale lock there are VAST numbers of boats for miles and miles and miles.  Both Susan and Pete comment that it was not like this 18 months ago.  As we cruise into London it is obvious that CR&T are not succeeding in removing these boaters; no licences, sinking boats and long-forgotten ones according to Pete!!

Tottenham Hale Lock
Sinking boat!

We go past the Olympic Park as we turn into Ducketts Cut (Hertford Union Canal).  Boats are along here too.  Last time there were none.

Olympic Park

I drag my bottom in the middle pound between locks on this stretch.  Apparently this is normal along this stretch.  Susan has to run up to the Top lock and release more water into the middle pound so that I can move!!  Thanks Susan for helping me out.

I am shocked at Victoria Park as there seems little room for me to pass - some boats are moored 3 deep.  Susan says she is getting tired now and would like to stop.  However, so far we have not seen any places to moor.  Not fair I say.....

Old Ford Lock two fisherman are blocking my way into the lock.  After Susan preps it they thankfully move their rods out of the way.  Meanwhile, Pete has his head in my weed hatch.  I have picked up some weeds and a rubbish bag which is making it difficult for me to move my propeller.  Feeling fresh again - thanks Pete.

Acton Lock, Pete does what Susan did 2 years ago at St. Pancreas Lock, he accidentally pushes my throttle into gear as he jumps off to do the lock.  I end up hitting my bow on the front gates.  Pete jumps onto the top of me and then manages to put the throttle into neutral.  Susan did not panic this time.

My family are all starting to feel a little tired now.  Susan says how much she loves the graffitti which is on walls and under the bridges that we pass through.





Sturt's Lock Susan needed a key for the top paddle.  There were 3 men having lunch and sitting on the gate arm and they did not move until Susan asked them to.  Eventually they were kind enough to close the gate when we exited it.

Islington Tunnel is 960 yds and seems longer than I remember from last time. St Pancreas lock was a breeze this time.

The towpaths were getting busier as we progressed through London.  At Kentish Town, Camden and Hampstead lock,  a key is required to either access the top paddles or to get through the gates that fence off the locks.  I share the lock with a small motorboat named "The Frog and Roastbeef".  Seemed a very friendly young man but I think he might have been taking drugs....  He was way too excited (according to Pete and Susan)..  Susan gets bombarded by people either gettting in the way, standing up against the lock gates and not moving or asking loads and loads of questions.  Very hard work.  Pete says he can smell the drugs in the air.  Susan commented that at least she did not see any people dealing like she did last time we came through here.

Hampsted Road Lock

Phew! Once through the last lock of the day Susan did state that she would not like to come through here again in the daytime or in summer.  I think I agree not a very nice place.  Did seem a lot more manic than last time.

Little Venice

I am so pleased to announce that after a great journey through Maida Hill tunnel, London Zoo at Regents Park, Little Venice (where we saw the second camera crew of the day) and Paddington Arm, we found the last remaining mooring space in Paddington Basin.  The whole family, including little Mazey, breath a sigh of relief.  I am pleased to have managed to get the family here safely and can now rest for a few days.  I can moor here for up to 7 days if I wish to.

Camera Crew in Little Venice

Mooring in Paddington Basin (second boat on right)

View from my galley window

Total 12 Miles and 13 Locks (7.5 hours no stops).


No comments:

Post a Comment