Thursday 17 July 2014

Pewsey

Thursday, 17th July 2014

A very warm and humid day greets us all.  Great last night when Mazey was let out for her last walk in the dark, Pete saw a small frog next to me.  Susan jumped in excitement and got her camera to hand.  Pete picked up the little frog so that Susan could take a picture before putting the stunned baby frog back onto the towpath.  Pete hopes he found his way to where he wanted to go......

Baby frog!

On the move again!!!  As Susan finishes the lock, two gentleman come up to help and tell her to make sure she puts on a long-sleeved top as it is REALLY BAD from here to Pewsey with horseflies.  Susan tells Pete this as Mazey jumps on board.  Pete is prepared and has long trousers and long-sleeved top on.  Susan covers herself in that 'Jungle' insect repellant again.
Susan then goes inside and closes all the windows and doors.  It is a 2.5 mile stretch to Pewsey (no locks or swing-bridges) so Susan decides to do the ironing.  It is very, very hot.....  Pete makes Mazey go inside too as she has started to have horseflies land on her.  Pete is busy swatting them as he cruises me.....  It is dreadful.  I am thankful that they do not affect me but I do feel sorry for Pete especially.  So determined......

Thankfully, there is a 48-hour mooring available just prior to Pewsey Wharf.  It is busy here with lots of private and long-term moorers.  Artists from Marlborough College Summer Camp are painting views of the river and the bridge.  Susan gets excited as she watches them.

Pewsey Wharf
At the wharf a building has a pub upstairs and a bistro downstairs.  Pete and Mazey walk in to find out where the bistro is........  meanwhile, Susan takes a photo of the strange models overlooking the river...  this place is odd!!!


Waterfront Pub and Bistro 
Strange models on the River

Pete has a pint of Skinners Ginger Tosser, Cornish brewery, but drinking it in Wiltshire......


The family walk into the village (a mile away) to get a few supplies and stop for lunch in the Royal Oak.

Welcome to Pewsey Sign

When they get back a very strange thing has occurred.......  I must have been resting and in a deep sleep 'cause I did not notice that someone had stepped onto me and untied, then retied all the mooring ropes, in a totally different way.  Pete and Susan are concerned and thought it BIZARRE....  I am not sure what to make of it either.......  Pete undid them and retied them in the way he likes.  He also checked my roof and well-deck area - nothing has been stolen.  I feel bad..... like I have let my family down.  I should have protested and I must have amnesia 'cause I do not know who, why or how it was done.......

Catch up soon.

Total 2.5 miles and 1 lock



No comments:

Post a Comment