Tuesday 1 July 2014

Newbury

Tuesday, 1st July 2014

It has been a busy day even though we have not travelled far.

After mooring overnight at the edge of Newbury, I was moved to the Newbury Marina and eagerly waiting for diesel, pump-out and water.  Thankfully, Pete got us all up early so that we were first in the queue.  Within minutes of us arriving other boaters did too and they were not happy that they had to wait......

Susan and Mazey walked around the marina and took a few photos of flowers.....


Once finished I cruised slowly, enjoying the beautiful sunny morning, to the park......  When moored, Susan and Mazey went for a walk.  Susan came back and told Pete that she wanted to move to above Newbury lock, where it was less noisy!!  Pete pointed out that there was an archaeological dig going on in the park.  Susan was 'not boverrred' and wanted to move.  So off we set.

I enjoyed the short cruise through the centre of town and into the lock.  There are many restaurants and public houses that overlook the canal.

Newbury Lock
It was easy to moor above the lock as all the other NBs had gone.  Susan and Pete headed off into town whilst Mazey and I rested.  When they came back a couple of hours later there was a lot of noise in the small park next to me and Pete realised that there was a group of young people and that it might not be the nice spot it first seemed to be.  We all decided to move again......

This time I go through the swing-bridge and then Pete finds a space between lots of other boats.  Again, Pete manages to get my front in but my stern is adrift and occasionally I drag my bottom on the shelf...



I think we will stay here now as the next village is 3 hours away.  Pete bought a pair of hedge shearers and had a bit of fun practising earlier...  this should make it easier for the family if the only mooring available is amongst the nettles.  Susan spoke to a lady boater who told her that from here, for a very long way, the moorings get increasingly difficult.  Hey ho.... let's see what transpires.

Night night everyone.

Total 1 mile, 1 lock and 1 swing-bridge







No comments:

Post a Comment