Friday 3 May 2013

River Stort: Sawbrdgeworth to Hunsdon Meade

Friday, 3rd may 2013

Another beautiful, sunny but chilly morning.  Pete got up at 5:00 am to put the heating on - it was so cold.......

Susan feels a bit tired today and says she is not looking forward to the journey.  She says that her knee, back and hands hurt.....  Pete, however, is keen to get going and moves me to the lock, whilst Susan finishes off her cup of tea.



Sawbridgeworth
Sheering Mill Lock
We go through Sawbridgeworth, Sheering Mill (the bottom gates are automated) and Freakes lock.  Susan and Mazey walk to Freakes lock along with the many cyclists, runners and dog walkers. It is a bank holiday weekend, so the river towpath is getting busy.

Lawrence moorings - Sawbridgeworth
Pete on top at Freakes Lock
Once at Harlow lock, which is opposite the Harlow Mill pub, there are two boats moored here obscuring the water point again.  Pete manages to wedge me in between the lock gates and the cruiser.  I am thirsty so it takes a while to fill me up.  Just as Pete puts the hose pipe thingy away another boat exits the lock.  Friendly couple from Braunston.  Their boat named Slipaway came second in the Crick Boat Show in 2004.

Busy at Harlow Lock

Harlow Lock
A number of boats pass us including a hire boat - Black Prince.  Susan gets excited when she sees two ducklings - summer is here at last she says!!!  The trees are full of blossom and she spots her first Bluebells too.

At Burnt Mill Lock, Dave, the volunteer helps us go through the lock.  He is finishing at 4:00 today.

The Moorhen nr. Burnt Mill Lock, Harlow
At Parndon lock a boat blocks the lock, so I have to reverse to enable Susan and Mazey to get off me to prepare the lock.  As I exit the lock another boat approaches.  Pete waves them through.  It is getting busier by the hour.....

Eventually, we moor above Hunsdon Mill lock - my first try was aborted as the water was too shallow and I scraped my bottom on the mud and silt. It is a lovely area according to Susan and Pete.  I'm not bothered.......

It was a beautiful day cruising through pretty countryside, sun shining down and warming my paintwork, slight breeze on my bow...... If only everyday could be like today.....

Another boat arrives and moors in front of me.  A few boats pass us and head towards Roydon.  Pete grooms Mazey as she was panting today.

At 8:00 pm a young man knocks on my stern.  Pete answers.  The young man, drinking from a beer bottle, is looking for his dad and thought I was his boat!!!!  It transpires that he is looking for Rob who was moored in Roydon.  Pete tells him he is now moored at Rye House which he was a few weeks ago.  He walks in that direction.  Susan hopes he gets there safely and does not drink anymore alcohol on the way.  Pete says 'How strange'..........  He also wishes he had said "Let your dad know we are still waiting for the £50 he owes us".......

Total 7 locks and 5 miles


No comments:

Post a Comment